Context: Union Minister for Commerce recently launched many initiatives to improve the quality of standards in India on the occasion of 76th Foundation Day of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- BIS is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- BIS has been providing traceability and tangibility benefits to the national economy in a number of ways –
- providing safe reliable quality goods;
- minimizing health hazards to consumers;
- promoting exports and imports substitute;
- control over proliferation of varieties etc. through standardization, certification and testing.
- BIS has its Headquarters at New Delhi and its 05 Regional Offices (ROs) are at Kolkata (Eastern), Chennai (Southern), Mumbai (Western), Chandigarh (Northern) and Delhi (Central).
- Keeping in view, the interest of consumers as well as the industry, BIS is involved in various activities as given below:
- Standards Formulation
- Product Certification Scheme
- Compulsory Registration Scheme
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
- Hall Marking Scheme
- Laboratory Services
- Laboratory Recognition Scheme
- Sale of Indian Standards
- Consumer Affairs Activities
- Promotional Activities
- Training Services, National and International level and
- Information Services
New Initiatives launched on the occasion of 76th Foundation Day of BIS:
Portal for mapping of Industrial Units and Laboratories:
- It is centralized platform for information on industrial units and laboratories across the country.
- It will enable analysis of test facilities and help entrepreneurs in accessing information about testing facilities.
Standards National Action Plan (SNAP) 2022- 27:
- It is a document that serve as foundation for standardization to meet emerging technologies and concerns of sustainability and climate change.
- Its implementation will ensure “Quality Culture” in the Nation.
Revision Exercise of National Building Code of India (NBC 2016):
- NBC is a building Code, and a national instrument that provides guidelines to regulate building construction activities across India to be implemented by all
- agencies involved in building construction.
- Revised exercise includes sustainable city planning norms.
Revised National Electrical Code of India 2023:
- It is a national instrument that provides guidelines to regulate Electrical Installations practices across the country.
- It has proposed requirements of electrical installation as per latest International best practices.
Training Courses on National Building Code of India 2016 and National Electrical Code of India:
- Through its training provided by National Institute of Training for Standardization (NITS), BIS has designed training courses for national capacity building.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to Trade-Related Investment Measures (TRIMS), which of the following statements is/are correct? (2020)
- Quantitative restrictions on imports by foreign investors are prohibited.
- They apply to investment measures related to trade in both goods and services.
- They are not concerned with the regulation of foreign investment.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3