Context: The Defence Ministry has started the process for the procurement of 100 more K9-Vajra tracked self-propelled howitzers, which are built by L and T using technology transferred from South Korea.
- The K9-Vajra is a 155-mm, 52-calibre tracked self-propelled howitzer based on the K9 Thunder built by Hanwha Defense.
- K9-Vajra offers a high rate of fire at long-range.
- It is compatible with Indian standard.
- It is made of all-welded steel armour protection material.
- In India the K9 gun has been developed under the Buy Global programme of the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) where foreign companies are allowed to participate.
- For K9-Vajra, Hanwha Techwin of South Korea is the technology partner of L&T.
- The first 10 guns have been imported from South Korea and assembled in India.
- The remaining 90 guns were largely manufactured in the country.