Context: Recently, Croatia adopted the euro currency and enter Europe’s passport-free Schengen zone after nearly a decade after joining the European Union.
About Schengen Zone:
- Schengen Area signifies a zone where 27 European countries (now 28), abolished their internal borders, for the free and unrestricted movement of people
- It is in harmony with common rules for controlling external borders and fighting criminality by strengthening the common judicial system and police cooperation.
- Schengen Area covers most of the EU countries, including Ireland and the countries that are soon to be part of the Schengen Area: Romania, Bulgaria, and Cyprus.
- Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein are associate members of the Schengen Area but are not members of the EU.
- They are part of the EFTA and implement the Schengen acquis through specific agreements related to the Schengen agreement.
- Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City have opened their borders with, but are not members of the visa-free zone.
- There are three more EU members, that have not joined the Schengen zone: Romania, Bulgaria, and Cyprus – that are seeking to join soon.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Region often mentioned in the news: Country
- Anatolia Turkey
- Amhara Ethiopia
- Cabo Delgado Spain
- Catalonia Italy
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs