- An autonomous society under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India
- Formed on April 4, 1978
- Headquarters: Kolkata
- The NCSM initiated process to set up National level science museums/centres, Regional Science Centres and District Science Centres located in metropolis, state capitals and district headquarters respectively.
- Central Research & Training Laboratory (CRTL), in Kolkata is the Council’s central hub for professional training, research and development.
- In addition, NCSM develops Science Centres/museums for different States and Union Territories of India.
- Collaborated internationally for development of Museum/Science Centres or for galleries such as Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre, Mauritius, ‘India’ gallery on Buddhism at ‘International Buddhist Museum’, Sri Lanka etc.
- NCSM strives to communicate Science and educate masses by its Mobile Science Exhibitions, Lectures and Demonstrations, Training and Workshops, Publications etc. NCSM has also sent exhibition to countries like Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Russia, USA, Bhutan, China, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, France and the journey continues.
News Source: PIB