Context: The 8th edition of the India International Science Festival (IISF) was recently inaugurated at the Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT), Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The theme of the four-day festival is “Marching towards Amrit Kaal with Science, Technology, and Innovation”.
- India International Science Festival (IISF) is an initiative of Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of Earth Science of Government of India in association with Vijnana Bharati which is a science movement with Swadeshi spirit lead by eminent scientists of the country.
- The main purpose of IISF is the celebration of science by all.
- Through its creative programs and activities, IISF provides opportunities to people and scientific fraternity in the country and abroad to come together, work together and experience the joy of doing science for the well-being of India and humanity.
- The theme of this year mission is aligned with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to build a Self-reliant India and is also aligned with the G20 vision, which is Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam or “One Earth· One Family · One Future”.
- IISF will feature 14 thematic events:
- Students Science Village
- Face to face with New Frontiers of Science & Technology
- Science through Games & Toys
- Students Innovation Festival
- Vaigyanika (Literature)
- International Science Film Festival
- Guinness World Records attempts
- Artisan’s Technology Village-Vocal for Local
- Young Scientist Conclave
- New Age Technology Show
- National Social Organisations and Institutions Meet (NSOIM)
- STEM @ 2022-Mega Science and Technology Exhibition
- Start-up Meet
- Science and Technology Council Conclave.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to recent developments regarding ‘Recombinant vector Vaccines’, consider the following statements:
- Genetic engineering is applied in the development of these vaccines.
- Bacteria and viruses are used as vectors.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (2021)
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q.2) With reference to the recent developments in science, which one of the following statements is not correct? (2019)
- Functional chromosomes can be created by joining segments of DNA taken from cells of different species.
- Pieces of artificial functional DNA can be created in laboratories.
- A piece of DNA taken out from an animal cell can be made to replicate outside a living cell in a laboratory.
- Cells taken out from plants and animals can be made to undergo cell division in laboratory petri dishes.