- GS-3: Disaster Management
- GS-3: Indian Economy & Development
Context: Wide cracks have appeared in many roads and hundreds of houses in Joshimath, Uttarakhand, and the authorities have declared it a landslide and subsidence-hit zone.
- Families were evacuated to temporary relief centres for their own safety.
- The signs of sinking first appeared in October 2021 and subsequently cracks continued to appear around town and residents resorted to repairs.
- It is also worth noting that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a report that the town in Uttarakhand sank 5.4 cm between December 27, 2022, and January 8, 2023. However, the report and the satellite images were later withdrawn from the ISRO website.
Main Practice Question: Why are we frequently witnessing disasters in Chamoli district of Uttarakhand? What measures can be adopted to mitigate it?
Note: Write answer his question in the comment section.