Frequently Asked Questions

Before going through the FAQs, please go through our simplified notification.


I filled the application form of CSE, 2015 once. But I realized that I made a mistake in choosing my optional/exam centre/language/name etc. What should I do?

Fill a fresh application form with all correct details. You can even change your optional/exam centre etc in the new form. Submit it online the same way by making the payment again. This form will have a higher registration ID than the previous one you had filled. Only this will be considered by UPSC. Download your Prelims admit card with the same higher registration ID and appear in the exam.

A higher registration ID (RID) means the new ID number will be greater than the previous one. If your previous RID was for e.g. 1122, this can be 1546. So, only 1546 number RID form will be considered.


What does it mean “General Studies Paper II (CSAT) has been made qualifying”? Will only GS-I marks be counted for clearing Prelims examination?

Yes, provided you have scored at least 33% marks in CSAT paper-2.

If the cutoff for entry into Mains is 100 marks, it means you will have to score at least 100 in GS, and 66 marks (33%) in CSAT. Even if you have scored 99 (less than 100) in GS-1, and 200 in CSAT, you will not be selected for Mains.

If I merely fill the UPSC Prelims application form, will it be considered as an attempt?

No. Mere applying for the Exam is not considered as an attempt.

Let’s take a scenario where ‘Mr X’ has applied for the Exam, has downloaded the hall ticket and goes to the exam centre and even sits inside the exam hall. But at the last moment before signing the attendance sheet, has second thought and leaves the examination hall. This is not considered as an attempt J

But, the moment you sign attendance sheet of PRELIMS exam for even a single paper (Say, GS I or II) you exhaust one attempt.


If I have given an attempt at Civil Services, is that counted in Indian Forest Service (IFS) Attempt too?

No. Your attempt for Civil service exam and Forest exam are counted separately. Even if you have exhausted all your CSE attempts, you can appear for IFS. They are two ‘separate’ recruitments. Only the 1st stage of the exam -prelims is common. Even the application form will have separate columns for CSE and IFoS.


While filling the application form, I see “Claiming for age relaxation” check option. I am under 30 age, but belong to OBC/SC/ST/PH category. Do I need to claim for age relaxation?

No. The age relaxation, applies normally to any non-General category candidate. Choose YES only if the government has allowed additional attempts. For e.g. in 2014 government increased the age eligibility criterion for General category candidates from 30 to 32. If you have been allowed attempts under such decisions, choose Yes, else No.


I am in the last year of College and have still not received my degree. Do I need to provide my degree certificate while applying for Prelims examination?

No. Only when you appear for Mains, you need to send its photocopy to UPSC. Original needs to be produced only in the Interview.


Will my marks scored in Prelims affect my scores in Mains examination?

No. Prelims examination is meant to serve as a screening test only. Once you qualify Prelims, what you have scored before does not matter in Mains.

  • meenakshi

    how to read a newspaper for current affair?

  • Goswamishweta

    Pls guide me how do i start my preparation for 2016 attempt ..iam so confused

  • sagar m

    Please guide us how to start preparation for 2016. Time is passing by, still annoyed at How To Start Preparation. Please
    Publish a separate article for 2016 aspirants.

  • Roopa

    I wanted to share my management strategy. Can anyone guide me how I can share download link to my word doc



  • Dharmendra Chouhan

    plz put the timetable of plan2 for 2016

  • Dr.MPSS

    babaji i want to ask that is monthlu magazine is the compilation of all the current events posted on your site for the given month or it is having different material than the daily current affairs pls clarify…

  • nectar

    how can i join iasbaba initiative , what all i will be getting i mean tests and virtual liberary , forum and what all..and how much will i hav to pay….pls anyone throw some light……thanks in advance or iasbaba pls tell me .,..pls pls pls asap….how can i pay the fee and when and how much is the fee.

  • Soumya Ranjan

    Can I register now for 2016 program …….

  • vinod420

    sir,my humble request to u that plz provide your monthly magazine in hindi version also. .lot of student demading that and much hope on u….plz sir


    My date of birth is 4-6-85. As per the age limit of UPSC this 2016 will be my last attempt perhaps. Is it possible to clear this exam in 10 months if i start preparing now? plz guide

  • Prabhu

    @iasbaba:disqus ,
    I am planning to attempt UPSC in 2017.
    Kindly let me know the Learning Program for the same.

  • Chethan Gowda

    Hai @iasbaba:disqus ,
    I would like to appear for UPSC exam in 2017, could you please let me know how to start.

  • Praveen

    dear sir, im studied BA in HEP how can identify the major subject to apply for civil service exm. what subject can i select.

  • ankit pandey

    dear sir’ i am a mechanical engineer and i have good command in mech engg, i also solved previous years questions ,It was not tough for me. I will appear in CSE 2018. i like this subject,I wanna choose it as my optional but I have one doubt …….WHAT IS THE SCALE OF SCORING IN MECH ENGG. I mean if I solve numerical type,question correct.,I will get full marks ????? BABA . kindly reply ……………………

  • radhika pathak

    Sir,is it necessary to enroll in your program to get my answers evaluated for mains ?if so,which program should I choose to enroll?

  • venkatesh

    Hi sir ,
    I am studying in 3rd year. I would be like to write civils services exam in Telugu medium because i am study upto 10th class in Telugu medium I am very well speak and write in Telugu when compare to English so it possible can I write mains exam in Telugu medium

  • yash sharma

    RESPECTED BABA JI..i want gs 4material in hindi medium could u provide me the gs4material in hindi..?

  • Naveen Kumar

    hi would like to know how to study current affairs.I mean from which month should i follow the current affairs?

  • Imtiyaz

    where I can get the whole Authentic Syllabus Of UPSC PT and Mains??

  • Vaibhav Thakare

    Amit Khune:
    Hi…we could not submit our CSM DAF due to some reasons.we have approached upsc.If there more aspirants
    who could not submit their DAF, upsc might reopen the daf link.If you or any of your friends could not submit daf,please contact on the following phone no.We would be very grateful if you spread this message to fellow upsc aspirants as this would save 2-3years of our hardwork.PLEASE DO HELP US.
    Contact no.-Awadhesh-9509540866

    please spread the message

  • Swartz Jhumpa

    hi why daily current affair quizzes are not opening,its showing 404 error

  • pankaj pandey

    gd aftrnoon sir/mam

  • pankaj pandey

    can u give monthly magzine in hindi

  • pankaj pandey

    plz answer

  • rishimeena

    I always read your suggestion
    Please give me advice I am confused
    I prepare for civil service exam first time but
    I am under graduate2012 , after sometime I got a job as a income tax inspector 2013 after 4 year , I took admission for post graduate 2016 (MA political science)
    This is good decision or not please reply sir..

  • KDitude

    hindi me current affair upload karo plz

  • Sahil Sharma

    Namaste baba ji
    baba ji Iam in second year of my graduation
    i want to prepare for IAS
    From where should I start preparing for IAS……..
    PLZ help me baba ji ………

  • Bahubali (Tripura)

    Hello IASBaba,

    My Date of Birth is 25-09-1980 and UPSC’s next CS notification with likely to be on 07-02-2018. My age will be then 37 years 04 months approx.Now, I want to know that whether I will be eligible to appear in the UPSC CS exam of 2018….? Please clarify my concept.

  • kousihan kathir

    how to unsubscribe?


    Baba ilp programme includes optional also as mine is geography

Subscribe to IASbaba

What are you waiting for!!!

Don't lose out on any important Post and Update. Learn everyday with Experts!!

ILP 2018

Rank 4, Saumya Pandey ILP Student

Rank 6, Dinesh ILP Student

IASbaba’s ILP 2018 – Prelims, Mains, Interview

All India Prelims Test Series 2018 – OFFLINE

All India Prelims Test Series 2018 – ONLINE

Follow Us