Orientation Session for GEOGRAPHY OPTIONAL by ATYAB ALI ZAIDI will be held on 20th July, 2019 (Saturday)
Timings – 9am – 11 am
The purpose of this write up is twofold – to help you understand the merits of Geography as an optional and to share the details of the comprehensive Geography Offline Classroom Programme.
But before we let you know the merits of Geography as an optional, please remove the notions and biases from your mind that might have developed as a result of your discussions on various online forums and maybe with your friends and seniors. UPSC doesn’t intentionally “butcher” a subject. All the optionals have their distinct advantages and drawbacks but by no stretch of imagination would UPSC give preference to one optional over the other. What may happen though is that some optionals might have scored more than the others in a particular year but that trend gets reversed also. That is the unpredictability of the Civil Services Examination that we have to live with. In fact, till the time optionals remain a part of CSE, this unpredictability will remain.
So, learn to live with it rather than blaming it. Most of the times, the answers to one’s failure or unexpected performance lies within and not externally.
So the message is clear for all the sceptics-
Before blaming UPSC for it’s so called “bias” for or against any optional, try to find the reasons of not doing well by looking inward!
So coming to the point, let us enumerate the merits of Geography as an optional to help you decide whether it’s the subject for you:
- Geography is scoring: If you maintain the essence of Geography in your answers, it will definitely fetch you good marks in Mains.
- Geography is interesting: You will have a fun ride with geography as most of the concepts relate to the physical and social environment of which you are an integral part.
- Geography has maximum overlap with GS syllabus: If you prepare Geography optional, more than 30-40% of your GS syllabus is automatically prepared. Moreover, you develop better perspectives for Essay paper and interview as well.
- Geography is logic driven and scientific: Unlike some other humanities subjects, study of Geography entails logic, scientific theories and empirical evidences. This makes Geography easy to understand and apply.
- Geography has abundance of sources to refer: There is no dearth of quality materials and good books in Geography. You don’t have to dig too much into bookstores to find good books on Geography.
We at IASBABA are conducting an OPEN FOR ALL Orientation session on how to approach and plan for scoring high in Geography optional.
The Session will be taken by Atyab Ali Zaidi Sir (One of the highest scorers in Geography in the year 2012 and 2013), an Alumni of NIT Allahabad, Chemical Engineering and Associated with IASBABA since its inception.
He has been mentoring UPSC aspirants since past 5 years and many of his students have qualified this prestigious exam with flying colours.
The testimony of the quality of the classes is the following feedback comments provided by the students of the last year’s batch.
The KEY TAKEAWAYS from the session:
- Understanding whether geography is suitable for you as an optional or not.
- How to score well in geography
- Basic ideology of the subject and its evolution.
- Important sources to refer.
- How to evolve a geographic bent of mind so that you can tackle dynamic questions with conceptual clarity
- Basic concepts of geography that will help in GS as well as Optional
- How to use geography to score well in Essay and GS paper 1, 2 and 3.
FEEDBACK of Geography Optional Class:
For Complete Details and Feedback of the of the Optional Classroom Programme – CLICK HERE
TIME and VENUE:
The Orientation Session is OPEN FOR ALL!!
20th July, 2019 (Saturday) from 9 am – 11 am
Vijayanagar Centre: 1737/ 37, MRCR Layout, Vijayanagar Service Road, Vijaynagar, Bengaluru-560040
For any Queries:
You can also reach us on
Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile No.: 9035077800