Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains –I- Modern history, Society
- Savitribai Phule, the social reformer who is considered to be one of India’s first modern feminists, was born on January 3, 1831
- Both Savitribai Phule & her husband Jyotirao Phule went on to found India’s first school for girls called Bhide Wada in Pune in 1848.
- The Phules started the Satyashodhak Samaj (Society for Truth-Seeking), through which they wanted to initiate the practice of Satyashodhak marriage, in which no dowry was taken.
- The Phules also started the Literacy Mission in India between 1854-55
- Savitribai Phule is especially remembered for being India’s first female teacher who worked for the upliftment of women and untouchables in the field of education and literacy.