Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) survey: Industries struggle amidst the pandemic
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Industries
- Companies were surveyed recently regarding the difficulties being faced by them due to the lockdown which was imposed to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Almost half of the industries which have been allowed to reopen still face hurdles in obtaining permits to function and passes for employees.
- 60% of surveyed companies faced disruption in the movement of inputs and finished goods.
- Only 15% of them said that movement of raw materials and finished goods was taking place smoothly.
- 23% said such movement was not taking place at all.
- 19% of companies said permits were not available to them.
- 27% said they had faced delays.
- 67% said the daily commute was problematic.
- Only 10% of plants were functioning at more than 50% of their full capacity.
- Only 9% of firms have more than half their workers back on site.
- CII demanded that businesses should be allowed to function without need of permits in non-containment areas.
- Also, workers should be allowed to commute to work in their own vehicles on the basis of a letter issued by the employer without need of a government pass.
Important value additions:
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- CII is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization.
- Founded in 1895, it works with the Government on policy issues.
Image source: Click here