Topic: General Studies 1 & 4:
- Modern Indian history
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
Gandhi’s philosophies in the times of COVID-19 Crisis
Context: The crisis created by western socio-economic model (based on profits & consumerism) has revived the significance of Gandhian philosophy
Some of the Gandhian principles which hold true in present times are:
- Swadeshi – Which emphasises indigenisation and reduces the dependence on other
- Global dependence on China has made this pandemic & its recovery difficult for Nations
- Gandhi practise and promoted personal hygiene and community sanitation, which has been advocated as Social Vaccine during this pandemic
- Sarvodaya– i.e. development of all
- Adhering to this would principle would have mitigated the troubles faced by migrants & poor during lockdown
- Gandhi emphasised on learning to experience the entire world within the precincts of our immediate village or neighbourhood
- Sustainable Living:
- Gandhi advocated to live in harmony with our environment, eschewing exploitative practices as far as possible.
- Regenerating our rural economy:
- It is the urban areas which are facing the brunt of pandemic and dependence on them endangering rural areas as well.
- Emphasis on Ethics:
- Gandhi called for integrating economics, politics and technology with ethics.
- If China was prompt about the initial outbreak of disease in Nov 2019, much of the damage could have been avoided
Gandhi’s thoughts and philosophies are more relevant now than ever.
Connecting the dots:
- Gandhi’s Trusteeship model of economic development
- Difference between Gandhiji and Babasaheb Ambedkar’s philosophies
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :