Haftar’s Forces attack Libya’s capital Tripoli
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – International Relations; GS-III – Linkages of Organised crime with terrorism
- The forces of Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar Libyan capital Tripoli with rockets.
- The capital was attacked after Haftar’s Forces were expelled from multiple towns west of Libya by government loyalists.
Important value additions:
Khalifa Belqasim Haftar
- He is the Commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) which is engaged in the Libyan Civil War.
- He held a senior position in the forces which overthrew Gaddafi in the 2011 Libyan Civil War.
- Libya has suffered almost a decade of conflict since longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a 2011 uprising backed by several Western powers.
- Recently, the UN-backed government recaptured the coastal cities of Sorman and Sabratha and several inland towns.