Human activities responsible for zoonoses
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- According to experts, the coronavirus outbreak comes from the animal world.
- It is human activity that enabled the virus to jump to people.
- The specialists are also warning that if human activities continue at this pace, the world will suffer from many other pandemics of similar nature in the future.
Important value additions:
- Zoonoses is the name given to diseases transmitted from animals to humans.
- They are not new.
- Tuberculosis, rabies, toxoplasmosis, malaria, etc., are all zoonoses.
- According to the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), 60% of human infectious diseases originate from animals.
- Also, 75% of emerging diseases such as Ebola, HIV, avian flu, Zika, or SARS originate from animals.
- The emergence of such diseases is often associated with environmental changes or ecological disturbances, such as increase in human settlement, encroachments into forests and other habitats, etc.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :