Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU): Set up in Jammu & Kashmir
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health, Governance
- Jammu & Kashmir Union Territory become 12th State where the PMRU has been set up by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
- The unit shall be funded by NPPA for its recurring and non-recurring expenses
- The PMRU, a registered society, will function under State Drug Controller of Jammu & Kashmir
- PMRU shall help NPPA and State Drug Controller in ensuring availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
- PMRU will collect samples of medicines, collect and analyse data and make reports with respect to availability & over-pricing of medicines for taking action under DPCO
- It is also expected to organise awareness activities related to affordability of medicines
Important value additions:
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Policy (NPPP) – governs price control.
- Drug Price Control Orders (DPCO) – enforces price control.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) – monitors and controls drug prices.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Policy-2012 – places a regulatory framework for pricing of drugs.