Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – India and its neighbours; International Relations
- India rejected the Chinese initiative to discuss the Kashmir issue in a closed-door meeting in United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and reiterated that Kashmir is a domestic issue.
- China’s attempt did not attract sufficient support from the UNSC members.
Do you know?
- China had repeatedly attempted to bring Kashmir issue during UNSC meetings.
- The frequency of such attempts by China has prompted diplomats to highlight the unequal nature of the UN organ, where the agenda is set by the permanent members (P5) of the UNSC.
- Kashmir issue had not been taken up at the council since it last figured in the world body before the India-Pakistan war of 1971.