Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Polity & Governance
- Recently, the Opposition had demanded that agriculture Bills be referred to a Select Committee of Rajya Sabha during the ongoing Monsoon session.
Important value additions
- Parliament scrutinises Bills in two ways.
- The first is by discussing it on the floor of the two Houses.
- The second mechanism is by referring a Bill to a parliamentary committee.
- Referring of Bills to parliamentary committees is not mandatory.
- Select Committee on a Bill is formed for examining a particular Bill.
- Its membership is limited to MPs from one House.
- They are disbanded after their report.
- These types of committees are chaired by MPs from the ruling party.
You can further read about Parliamentary Committees here.