Honey Mission Programme launched by KVIC
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions and GS-III – Economy
Features of the Programme
- It is being implemented to promote Bee Keeping activities and provide self-sustaining employment opportunities among farmers, Adivasies and unemployed youth in rural India.
- Under the programme, beneficiaries are provided with Bee Boxes, live bee colonies, tool kits and training.
- Also, Under Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries’ (SFURTI) implemented by the Ministry of MSME, traditional beekeepers are provided with sustainable employment by organizing them into clusters, and supporting them with new machinery and training.
- 29 Honey clusters have been approved under the scheme which will benefit 13388 beekeepers with Government of India financial assistance of Rs.68.65 crore.
- It is also proposed to form 08 Self Help Groups benefitting 80 beekeepers in the Bundelkhand Region in the financial year 2021-22.
About National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM) scheme
- Under the National Beekeeping & Honey Mission (NBHM) scheme under the Ministry of Agriculture, scientific beekeeping is promoted for holistic growth of the sector, leading to income and employment generation, livelihood support to farm and non-farm households.
News Source: PIB