India Rejects OIC’s Proposal
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II -International relations
What was OIC’s Offer?
- OIC offered to arrange a meeting between India and Pakistan and proposed to send a delegation to Jammu & Kashmir
- Pakistan has repeatedly sought to raise the Kashmir issue at the OIC
What was India’s Response?
- The OIC should be watchful that their platform is not subverted by “vested interests” such as Pakistan to interfere in internal affairs of India or for anti-India propaganda through biased and one-sided resolutions.
What is Organisation of Islamic Cooperation?
- It is the second largest intergovernmental organization after the United Nations (UN) with a membership of 57 states.
- It is the collective voice of the Muslim world.
- It endeavours to safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony among various people of the world.
- India is not a member of the OIC.
- It was established upon a decision of the historical summit which took place in Rabat, Kingdom of Morocco in September 1969.
- Headquarters: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
News Source: TH