Part of: GS Prelims and GS – III – Economy; Sci and tech
- However, resource of lithium has not yet been augmented by GSI.
What is Lithium?
- Lithium (Li), chemical element of Group 1 (Ia) in the periodic table, the alkali metal group, lightest of the solid elements.
- The metal itself—which is soft, white, and lustrous—and several of its alloys and compounds are produced on an industrial scale.
- The most important use of lithium is in rechargeable batteries for mobile phones, laptops, digital cameras and electric vehicles.
- Lithium is also used in some non-rechargeable batteries for things like heart pacemakers, toys and clocks.
What is Geological Survey of India?
- It was set up in 1851 primarily to find coal deposits for the Railways.
- Over the years, it has attained the status of a geo-scientific organisation of international repute.
- Main function: Creation and updation of national geo-scientific information and mineral resource assessment.
- Headquarter: Kolkata
- Six regional offices: Lucknow, Jaipur, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Shillong and Kolkata.
- Every state also has a state unit.
- Presently, GSI is an attached office to the Ministry of Mines.
News Source: PIB