Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF)
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Environment & Climate Change
Context: Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF) aims at facilitating candid dialogue among major emitters countries, both developed and developing, to garner political leadership to advance climate action.
- Also aims at enabling dialogue and discussion and building consensus before COP26, which will set a precedent for climate efforts in the years to come.
- Combating climate change is a shared global challenge and our response must be based on the fundamental principles of equity and common but differentiated responsibilities and respective capabilities.
- Though India’s share of world population is 17% but the country’s share in cumulative historical emissions is just 4% and even the current annual emissions are only 5.2% of the global emissions and the per capita emissions are about a third of the global average.
- India’s target is of 450 GW of Renewable Energy by 2030.
- India’s solar capacity, drawing on the collaborative spirit of member countries through the International Solar Alliance, has increased fifteen times in the last six years.
News Source: PIB