IPCC’s Sixth Assessment Report, “Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis”
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Climate change
In news UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the United Nations Framework Convention for Climate Change (UNFCCC) said that the IPCC report, released recently, underscored that “there is no time for delay and no room for excuses”.
What are the key observations of the IPCC report?
- Heat waves and humid heat stress will become more intense and frequent over Southeast Asia during the 21st century.
- Both summer and annual monsoon precipitation will increase, with enhanced inter annual variability over Southeast Asia.
- Heat extremes have increased while cold extremes have decreased and these trends will continue over the coming decades.
- Glacier run-off in the Asian high mountains will increase upto mid 21st century and subsequently run-off may decrease due to the loss of Glacier storage.
- Relative sea level around Asia increased faster than global average, with coastal area loss and shoreline retreat. Regional mean sea level will continue to rise.
What is Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)?
- It is an international body set up in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to provide policymakers with
- Regular assessments of the scientific basis of climate change
- Impacts and future risks associated with Climate Change
- Options for adaptation and mitigation for Climate Change
- Membership of the IPCC is open to all members of the WMO and the UNEP.
- IPCC assessments provide a scientific basis for governments at all levels to develop climate-related policies and also underlie climate negotiation at International level.
- The main objective of UNFCCC is to stabilize greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system.
News Source: TH
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…