Poshan Jagrukta Abhiyan organised under POSHAN Maah
Part of: Prelims and GS – II – Health; Policies and interventions
Context Poshan Jagrukta Abhiyaan (nutrition awareness campaign) programmes were recently organised by the Union Ministry for Women and Child Development and Union Ministry for Minority Affairs for women from minority communities.
- During the day-long programme, the ministers interacted with Women belonging to Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Parsi, Jain and Sikh communities and from poor and backward areas
- These programmes were organised under “Poshan Maah”.
About POSHAN Abhiyaan
- POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) Abhiyaan is Government of India’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- Launched by the Indian Prime Minister on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8 March, 2018.
- The Abhiyaan seeks to address the issue of malnutrition in mission-mode.
- Mission Poshan 2.0 (Saksham Anganwadi and Poshan 2.0) has been announced in the Budget 2021-2022 as an integrated nutrition support programme.
- Objectives: To strengthen nutritional content, delivery, outreach and outcomes, with a focus on developing practices that nurture health, wellness and immunity to disease and malnutrition.
About POSHAN Maah 2021
- As India celebrates the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav in 2021,
- POSHAN Maah 2021 is being observed in a thematic fashion.
- Objective: To ensure speedy and intensive outreach
- The entire month of September 2021 has been subdivided into weekly themes, for focused and assimilated approach towards improving holistic nutrition.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has planned a series of activities throughout the month in tandem with states and union territories
Initiatives to ensure good health and well-being of girls and women: