Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
In News: Inauguration of a National Meet on SVAMITVA Scheme that would provide cross-learning platform for States in respect of processes of SVAMITVA Scheme
- The acronym SVAMITA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas.
- It is a Central Sector Scheme (100% by Union Government) implemented by Union Ministry of Panchayat Raj
- It is aimed at “providing ‘record of rights’ to village household owners possessing houses in inhabited rural areas in villages and issuance of property cards to the property owners.”
- The government aims to provide such property cards to each household in the next three to four years in every village across the country.
- The plan is to survey all rural properties using drones and prepare GIS based maps for each village.
News Source: PIB