Green Grids Initiative: One Sun, One World, One Grid
Part of: Prelims and GS-III – Climate change
Context Green Grids Initiative As part of One Sun, One World, One Grid initiative was announced by India and the United Kingdom at COP26 to tap solar energy and have it travel seamlessly across borders.
- The objective included trading energy from sun, wind and water across borders to deliver more than enough clean energy to meet the needs of everyone on earth.
- The initiative was endorsed by more than 80 countries.
- The ISRO has developed an application that could compute the potential solar energy at any point on earth and help decide if it would be suitable for solar energy installations.
- A Ministerial Steering Group will work towards accelerating the making of large solar power stations and wind farms in the best locations, linked together by continental-scale grids crossing national borders.
- The Ministerial Steering Group includes France, India, the United Kingdom and the United States, and will also have representatives from Africa, the Gulf, Latin America and Southeast Asia.
News source: TH