Year End Review: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY)
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-III: Climate Change
- Digital identity-Aadhaar provided to over 126 Crore people – Aadhaar is world’s largest digital identity programme that provides biometric and demographic based unique digital identity that can be authenticated anytime, anywhere and also eliminates duplicate & fake identities. It provides an identity infrastructure for delivery of various social welfare programmes.
- Around 5.36 crore candidates have been enrolled and 4.54 crore have been trained under PMGDISHA Scheme – PMDISHA aim to provide digital literacy in rural India by covering 6 crore rural households
- State-of-the-art VLSI Laboratories setup at 60 institutes across country
- About 52,000 number of specialized manpower trained under Special Manpower Development Programme for Chips to System Design (SMDP-C2SD)
- Number of digital transactions increase from 1085 Cr in FY 2016-17 to 5,554 Cr in 2020-21, at a CAGR of 50.42%
- 45,500 persons get direct employment under BPO promotion scheme of Ministry
- During FY 2021-22, C-DAC commissioned two systems of 650 TF (800TF Peak) each at IIT Hyderabad and C-DAC Bangalore under Phase-II of National Supercomputing Mission
- Systems including 3PF Peak at IISc Bangalore, 1.66 PF Peak at IIT Roorkee and 833 TF Peak each at IIT Guwahati, NABI Mohali, IIT Gandhinagar, NIT Trichy and IIT Mandi to be installed by March 2022 under Supercomputing Mission
- Virtual Courts
- It aimed at reducing footfalls in the courts by eliminating the physical presence of violator or advocate in the court. Virtual court can be managed by virtual judge whose jurisdiction can be extended to entire state and working hours may be 24X7. Neither litigant need to visit the court nor judge will have to physically preside over the court thus saving precious judicial time.
- Number of judges required for adjudicating traffic challans across the state can be reduced virtually to single judge. eChallans to be submitted in the court are automatically filed to the virtual court for adjudication. Virtual Judge can access the Virtual Court application from anywhere, view the cases and adjudicate the cases online.
- e-District Mission Mode Project (MMP): e-District is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) that aims at electronic delivery of identified high volume citizen centric services at the district or sub-district level.
- Global Indices: The E-Government Development Index (EGDI) presents the state of E-Government Development of the United Nations Member States.
- Along with an assessment of the website development patterns in a country, the E-Government Development index incorporates the access characteristics, such as the infrastructure and educational levels, to reflect how a country is using information technologies to promote access and inclusion of its people.
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) is the nodal ministry for EGDI.
- The EGDI is a composite measure of three important dimensions of e-government, namely: online service index, telecommunication infrastructure index and the human capital index.
- The National Policy on Electronics 2019(NPE 2019) envisions positioning India as a global hub for Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM), by encouraging and driving capabilities in the country for developing core components, including chipsets, and creating an enabling environment for the industry to compete globally.
- With a view to building a robust manufacturing ecosystem which will be an asset to the global economy government is looking forward to developing a strong ecosystem across the value chain and integrating it with global value chains.
- This is the essence of these four Schemes namely, the (i) Production Linked Incentive Scheme (PLI) for Large Scale Electronics Manufacturing, (ii) Scheme for Promotion of Manufacturing of Electronic Components and Semiconductors (SPECS) (iii) Modified Electronics Manufacturing Clusters (EMC 2.0) Scheme and (iv) Production Linked Incentive Scheme (PLI) for IT Hardware.
News Source: PIB