2. The definition and dynamics of social influence have changed in the age of social media. Do you agree? Critically comment. (10 Marks)
सोशल मीडिया के युग में सामाजिक प्रभाव की परिभाषा और गतिशीलता बदल गई है। क्या आप सहमत हैं? समालोचनात्मक टिप्पणी करें।
Students are expected to write about the basics of social influence and then critically comment on how social media is changing the dynamics of the social influence provide both alternative side with specific examples.
Social media is a powerful communications medium, with widespread social influence over people in urban areas as well as remote areas. Social media influence is a an individual’s ability to affect other people’s thinking in a social online community.
- Social influence is described as the change in person’s behaviour, thoughts, feelings and attitudes that results from interaction with another individual in society. It can be intentionally or unintentionally, as a result of the way the changed person perceives themselves in relationship to the influencer.
Social media influence changing dynamics:
- Social persuasion tactics, methods and procedures are used by which a social entity’s attitude, belief, or behavior is affected by other entities in a social network.
- Social influence is the process by which individuals make real changes to their outlooks and behaviours as a result of communication with others who are perceived to be similar, desirable, or expert.
- People adjust their views with respect to others to whom they feel similar in accordance with psychological principles such as balance.
- The more influence a person has, the more appeal that individual has to companies or other individuals who want to promote an idea or sell a product.
- For example social media influencers promote beauty care products, flaunt there private trips to Maldives this all impacts the users socio psychology.
- Cricket players as social media influencer promoting Dream 11 and other apps has impact on the children make them addicted divert from there essential routine.
Social influence to bring positive change:
- It can bring change in attitude of people. It has moral conditioning effect. For example Video messages by celebrities like Akshay Kumar and Amitabh Bachhan etc during the COVID to maintain covid appropriate behavior.
- The Selfie campaign was a major success in promoting the Beti Padhao Beti Bachao scheme.
- Social influence through social media can be key to bring behavioural changes to solve social evils like caste system, patriarchy, climate change, solid waste management.
- Using social influence of celebrities and campaigns have been quite effective in persuading people to adopt any desired behaviour.
- For example United Nations taking help of popular Hollywood actors to promote campaigns for climate change and gender equality.
- Virat Kohli and Hardik Pandya as social media influencer promotes gym exercise and it influence people in positive angle to maintain the healthy life.
Therefore, social influence through social media is a dynamic & powerful tool that hold a huge potential to change the face of world in both positive and negative spectrum. If creatively used, they can prove to be the most effective tool to tackle and fight against social evils and bring social behavioural change.