SMILE: Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-II: Government schemes and policies
In News: SMILE is being launched for the Welfare of Transgender community and the Beggars
By: The Department of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Designed to provide welfare measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- Under this includes two sub-schemes –
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging
- The scheme strengthens and expands the reach of the Rights that give the targeted group the necessary legal protection and a promise to a secured life.
- It keeps in mind the social security that is needed through multiple dimensions of identity, medical care, education, occupational opportunities and shelter.
- The Ministry has allocated Rs. 365 Crore for the scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons
- Scholarships for Transgender Students: Scholarships for students studying in IX and till post-graduation to enable them to complete their education.
- Skill Development and Livelihood: Skill Development and Livelihood under PM-DAKSH scheme of the Department
- Composite Medical Health: A comprehensive package in convergence with PM-JAY supporting Gender-Reaffirmation surgeries through selected hospitals
- Housing in the form of ‘GarimaGreh’: Shelter Homes ‘Garima Greh’ where food, clothing, recreational facilities, skill development opportunities, recreational activities, medical support etc. will be provided
- Provision of Transgender Protection Cell: Setting up of Transgender Protection in each state to monitor cases of offences and to ensure timely registration, investigation and prosecution of offences.
- E-Services (National Portal & Helpline and Advertisement) and other Welfare Measures
Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging
- Survey and identification: Survey and Identification of beneficiaries shall be carried out by the Implementing Agencies.
- Mobilisation: Outreach work will be done to mobilise the persons engaged in begging to avail the services available in the Shelter Homes.
- Rescue/ Shelter Home: The shelter homes will facilitate education for children engaged in the act of Begging and children of persons engaged in the act of Begging.
- Comprehensive resettlement.
- Skill development/vocational training will be provided to attain capacity, capability and desirability so that they can sustain and live a life of dignity by engaging in self-employment.
- Pilot projects initiated on Comprehensive Rehabilitation in ten cities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna and Ahmedabad.
News Source: PIB