2. Do you think the ongoing Russian aggression against Ukraine has belittled the importance of international sanctions in checking unilateral actions. Why or why not? Substantiate your views. (10 Marks)
क्या आपको लगता है कि यूक्रेन के खिलाफ चल रहे रूसी आक्रमण ने एकतरफा कार्रवाइयों को रोकने में अंतरराष्ट्रीय प्रतिबंधों के महत्व को कम कर दिया है। क्यों या क्यों नहीं? अपने विचारों की पुष्टि करें।
Students are expected to write about the International sanctions with defining it. And must give both side of arguments on whether Russian aggression write off the international sanction as a diplomatic tool.
International sanctions are political and economic decisions that are part of diplomatic efforts by countries, multilateral or regional organizations against states or organizations either to protect national security interests, or to protect international law, and defend against threats to international peace.
International sanctions on checking unilateral actions:
- Military action isn’t the only option for countries that are in the midst of a political dispute. Instead, economic sanctions provide an immediate way for the world to crack down on rogue countries without putting lives on the line.
- As a tool of foreign policy, they are being vastly preferred over military action or quiet diplomacy.
- Their expanse as a foreign policy tool appears to be growing at a relentless pace, in terms of scale, scope and complexity.
- Due to sanction on North Korea Panmunjom Declaration was signed agreeing to greater cooperation between the two nations
Overuse and frequent use of sanction belittling the importance:
- International sanctions were imposed on Russia during the Crimea crisis then also Russian did military intervention in Ukraine in 2022.
- Russia is looking at ways to bypass the sanctions by using a non-dollar “rupee-rouble” payment mechanism and alternatives to SWIFT messaging system.
- In reaction to sanction by USA Iran announced that it would no longer comply with obligations under the 2015 agreement under which it agreed to restrict its nuclear-sensitive activities.
- The efficacy of unilateral sanctions is challenged by ambiguity, lack of detail, and conflicting laws involving sanctions.
- Global supply chains may be cut by the imposition of sanctions this impacts the common citizens for essential importing.
Enforcement of Sanction should be with global consensus and prudently used protocols must be must have justified exemptions so that the wider population is not denied the supply of essential goods and services, such as foodstuffs, medical supplies, etc.