1. Do you think India’s recent evacuation efforts in Ukraine were unnecessarily politicised? Critically comment. (10 Marks)
क्या आपको लगता है कि यूक्रेन में भारत के हालिया निकासी प्रयासों का अनावश्यक राजनीतिकरण किया गया था? समालोचनात्मक टिप्पणी करें।
Candidates need to write about the Indian operation of evacuating the students form Ukraine in introduction. Then comment on how politicization of operation was done as question demands to critically comment need to present alternative view also.
Just after tension between Russia and Ukraine heightened, with war erupting in Ukraine after the Russian military launched a series of attacks Operation Ganga by central government was launched as evacuation mission to bring back all the Indian nationals who were stranded in Ukraine.
Politicization of rescue operation:
- Naming the mission as operation Ganga with considering the UP election was ongoing. Also addressing the electors with the efforts taken by central government about the mission in election rallies.
- Sending the Cabinet minister to the bordering nation of Ukraine and also receiving the students at the New Delhi airport was seen as politicization by ruling establishment.
- The Indian government has vastly exaggerated its claims of evacuating Indian students from Pesochin in war-ravaged Ukraine, students and educational consultants have alleged. As students at pesochin and many other area were not treated well.
- It is not that India doesn’t have experience in evacuating its people. It has managed evacuations from war zones on a far larger scale in the past as shown in the media.
- Ministers made students who were evacuated from war-torn Ukraine chant slogans in favour of the government. Government was criticized for self congratulatory ecstasy.
Evacuation was based on principle of impartiality without creating political optics:
- Humanitarian action in India is always guided by the principles of humanitarian assistance, i.e., humanity, neutrality and independence.
- It was MEAs Alacrity and dynamism to hasten the evacuation process, because there were around 20000 Indian student massive number face difficulty at border checkposts, sending students to embankment sites and clearing the immigration.
- India has a long history of conducting such evacuations and it has conducted 23 such evacuations since 1962-63, always such evacuation were done on huge scale and always it’s big responsibility for government and it’s legitimate to publicize the efforts taken by efficient mission.
India needs to have structural change in healthcare academics to make Indian university attractive for Indian students. Also we should think bringing back our citizens as a duty of the government of the day so it should not be seen as favor.