3. Do you think the Russian aggression against Ukraine further eroded the credibility of the UN? Substantiate your views. (15 marks)
क्या आपको लगता है कि यूक्रेन के खिलाफ रूसी आक्रमण ने संयुक्त राष्ट्र की विश्वसनीयता को और कम कर दिया है? अपने विचारों की पुष्टि करें।
Candidates need to substantiate how Russian aggression against Ukraine further eroded the credibility of the UN.
The Russian Federation is now past the initial stages of its widespread military invasion of Ukraine. Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, unleashing airstrikes on cities and military bases and sending in troops and tanks from three sides in an attack that could rewrite the global post-Cold War security order.
The Russian Aggression Against Ukraine Further Eroded the Credibility of the UN
- The tragedy unfolding in Ukraine has attracted worldwide sympathy and support for Ukraine, its leadership and the people of Ukraine. The rule of law and democracy must be respected and defended.
- Russia has invaded a free and democratic country. They are killing innocents in the thousands. They are blowing up historic buildings, residences, hospitals, schools and critical infrastructure.
- Vladimir Putin will soon be investigated for war crimes. And yet Russia is allowed to remain in the United Nations, and holds a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. That is indeed a big question.
- The Russian Federation continues to treat its international legal commitments with contempt through its practices; flouting the international prohibition on the use of force and intervention, whilst also disregarding its obligation to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of other states.
- The Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is one of the greatest challenges ever to the international order “because of its nature, intensity, and consequences.
- The UN Security Council exists, and security in the world doesn’t for anyone. This definitely means that the United Nations is currently unable to carry out the functions for which it was created.
- Only one state is to blame for this – Russia, which discredits the UN and all other international institutions where it still participates.
- Russia tries to block everything constructive and use global architecture in order to spread lies and justify the evil it does.
- The world sees it and will hopefully draw conclusions. Otherwise, there will be only one institution left in the world to guarantee the security of states. Namely – weapons.
- The UN General Assembly has voted on a draft resolution which expresses grave concern at the ongoing human rights and humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, particularly at the reports of violations and abuses of human rights and violations of international humanitarian law by Russia, including gross and systematic violations and abuses of human rights. Through this draft the UN seek to suspend Russia from the UN Human Rights Council.
The UN has struggled with its usefulness in recent years, but this takes the cake. It’s time to kick Russia out of the UN, or the members might as well pack up and go home.