Quota in Promotions
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Polity and governance
Context: The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) has asked all Union government departments to collect data on inadequate representation of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes before implementing the policy of reservation in promotion in government offices.
- It said that following a January 28 Supreme Court judgment, the Attorney-General opined that three conditions were to be met while implementing the policy of reservation in promotions.
- These are:
- Collection of quantifiable data regarding inadequacy of representation of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes;
- Application of this data to each cadre separately; and
- If a roster exists, the unit for operation of the roster would be the cadre or which the quantifiable data would have to be collected and applied in regard to the filling up of the vacancies in the roster.
- The order said that all the Ministries and departments are required to ensure that the conditions are complied with before implementing reservation in promotions and carrying out any promotions based thereon.
News Source: TH