High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People
- It is an intergovernmental group championing a global deal for nature and people that can halt the accelerating loss of species, and protect vital ecosystems that are the source of our economic security.
- It was launched in 2019 by Costa Rica, France and Britain.
- To promote an international agreement to protect at least 30% of the world’s land and ocean by 2030 (Global 30×30 target).
- To manage the planet sustainably with no net loss of natural habitats, supported by a circular economy, and strives for the sustainable and equitable sharing of benefits from nature.
- It has more than 70 countries which are a mix of countries in the global north and south, European, Latin American, Africa and Asia countries are among the members.
- India became a member in October 2021.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to the ‘New York Declaration on Forests’ Which of the following statements are correct? (2021)
- It was first endorsed at the United Nations Climate Summit in 2014.
- It endorses a global timeline to end the loss of forests.
- It is a legally binding international declaration.
- It is endorsed by governments, big companies and indigenous communities.
- India was one of the signatories at its inception.
Select the Correct answer using the code given below.
- 1, 2 and 4
- 1, 3 and 5
- 3 and 4
- 2 and 5