Context: November 18, 2022, marks the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Rezang La, one of the few bright spots in the War of 1962 with China.
About Rezang La:
- It is also called Rechin La.
- It is a mountain pass on the Line of Actual Control between Indian-administered Ladakh and the Chinese-administered Spanggur Lake basin that is also claimed by India.
- The pass is located on the eastern watershed ridge of the Chushul Valley that China claims as its boundary.
- It is at the head of the Rezang Lungpa valley, which houses a stream draining into the Spanggur Lake.
About the war memorial:
- It is dedicated to those who laid down their lives in the Battle of Rezang La during the 1962 war.
- It will now include the names of Army personnel who lost their lives in the violent clash at Galwan last year.
- 18th November marks the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Rezang La in which Troops from the 13 Kumaon Regiment defeated several waves of the Chinese Army at a height of over 16,000 feet.
Post 120 Memorial:
- In October 2020, the Army had built a memorial at Post 120 in Eastern Ladakh for the 20 personnel killed in the violent clash at Galwan Valley on June 15 that year.
- Post 120 lies along the Darbuk Shyok-Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO)
Source: Indian Express