Context: The government of India has approved a Rs 124 crore proposal for setting up incubation centres in the Delhi and Bengaluru campuses of the Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DoT) under the Digital Communication Innovation Square (DCIS) under Champion Services Sector Scheme.
About The Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT):
- Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) was established in August 1984 as an autonomous Telecom R&D centre of Dept o Telecommunication, Govt. of India.
- It is a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- It is a registered ‘public funded research institution’ with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
- C-DOT as a torch bearer of indigenous telecom R&D continues to develop latest technology products in areas like Optical, Switching, Wireless, Security and Network Management while also working on futuristic technologies like M2M/IOT, 5G, AI, etc.
- C-DOT reiterates its unequivocal commitment to the betterment of country’s telecom sector by working towards realizing the objectives of various flagship programs of the Government of India that include Digital India, Make in India, BharatNet, Skill India, Startup India and Smart Cities.
- Chairman: Union Minister of Communication & IT
- Vice Chairman: Union Minister of State for Communication & IT
- Members: 10 other members from various ministries and telecom sectors
- Customer Segments: Defence organizations & Strategic agencies, public sector / Govt. , Educational institutions, Manufacturing sector / Toll Operate Transfer partners, TSPs and ISPs etc
Success stories of C-DOT:
- Launch of Gyan Setu and MAXNG Technologies:
- ‘GyanSetu’ is an internet based real-me ICT system designed by C-DOT, primarily to provide various eservices to the under privileged rural population of India.
- MAX-NG, C-DOT’s Next Generation Network (NGN) solution addresses the needs of the changing telecom scenario and enables a smooth transition from Plain Old Telephone System (POTS) to NGN based Voiceover-IP (VoIP).
- Launch of Broadband Products:
- During Digital India Week, C-DOT launched four products and inaugurated IMS compliant NGN Services in MTNL network.
- High Speed, long distance Wi-Fi solution is Ideal for increasing the penetration of broadband services in difficult and inaccessible terrains e.g., hilly areas, dense vegetation, islands, unconnected villages. disaster sites, border areas, tunnels, Battlefield Surveillance.
- Inauguration of Terabit Router & FTTD Solution:
- C-DOT has designed and developed India’s first indigenous Terabit Router.
- Hon’ble Minister of Communications & IT inaugurated C-DOT Terabit Router along with GPON based Fibber-to-the-Desk solution (FTTD) during a TSDSI function held at C-DOT Campus in October 2014.
Awards & Accolades:
- KSCST IP Award and Rewards 2021:
- C-DOT has been awarded the KSCST IP Award and Rewards 2021 in appreciation and recognition for the contribution in the field of IPRs under the R&D Institute category.
- AEGIS Graham Bell Award 2019:
- 10th edition of Aegis Graham Bell Awards for Innovative Telecom Product
- WBA Industry Award 2018
- C-DOT Wi-Fi Solution won the most prestigious International Award at Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA), London in the category “Best Wireless Deployment in Rural or Remote Areas Award”.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following communication technologies:
- Closed-circuit Television
- Radio Frequency Identification
- Wireless Local Area Network
Which of the above are considered of the Short-Range devices/technologies? (2022)
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Q.2) With reference to visible light communication (VLC) technology, which of the following statements are correct? (2020)
- VLC uses electromagnetic spectrum wavelengths 375 to 780nm
- VLC is known as long-range optical wireless communication
- VLC can transmit large amounts of data faster than Bluetooth
- VLC has no electromagnetic interference
Select the correct answer using the code given below
- 1, 2 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 4 only
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 2, 3 and 4 only