Context: Adding to the present collection of GIs, 03 new items from various states of India such as Tandur Redgram of Telangana, Raktsey Karpo Apricot of Ladakh, Alibag White Onion of Maharashtra have been given the coveted GI Tags.
About Raktsey Karpo Apricot:
- Raktsey Karpo, from family of apricot, packed with vitamins and low on calories is rich in sorbitol – a natural glucose substitute that can be consumed by diabetics.
- The oil from its seed is known to relieve back aches and joint pain.
- These apricots are grown organically as individual on trees or in clusters without using any chemical fertilisers.
- In Ladakh, it is locally known as ‘Chuli’.
- The native apricot genotypes of Ladakh possess unique characteristics, such as high TSS (Total dissolved solids) content, late and extended flowering and fruit maturity, and white seed stone phenotype.
- It is classified into two broad categories based on kernel taste and stone color.
- Khante: Fruits with bitter kernels.
- Nyarmo: Fruits with sweet kernels.
- They are further divided into two sub-groups based on seed stone color.
- Raktsey Karpo (Rakstey means seed, karpo means white): Fruit with white seed stone is called.
- Raktsey Nakpo or Nyarmo (black seeded): Fruit with brown seed stone.
- It is being promoted under One District One Product for Kargil (Ladakh).
- In India, it is grown in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and to a limited extent in North Eastern Hills.
- Tree can tolerate winter temperatures as cold as −30 °C or lower if in healthy sate.
About Tandur Red Gram of Telangana:
- It is a local variety of pigeon pea which is mainly grown in the rainfed areas of the Tandur and nearby places in the state.
- As per the researchers, the fertile deep black soil with clay minerals specifically in Tandur Region along with huge limestone deposits can be attributed to the specific quality traits of Tandur Redgram.
- It contains about 24 percent protein, which is almost three times that of cereals, and is popularly known for its very good taste, and better cooking quality.
About Alibag White Onion of Maharashtra:
- It is known for its unique sweet taste, no-tear factor, and medicinal properties.
- The soil of Alibaug taluka has low sulphur content and its geo-climatic conditions make it unique compared to other white onion-producing areas.
- White onions are an excellent source of antioxidants that contain more than 25 different types of flavonoids which lowers the risk of developing chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.