In News: In line with the vision of celebrating our glorious tribal heritage, a tableau by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs showcasing tribal welfare through quality education in Eklavya Model Residential Schools established for ST children across the country featured at the national Republic Day Parade.
Eklavya Model Residential School (EMRS) scheme
- EMRS started in the year 1997-98
- It is one of the flagship interventions of the Ministry of Tribal Affair
- The schools focus not only on academic education but on the all-round development of the students.
- Each school has a capacity of 480 students, catering to students from Class VI to XII.
- Hitherto, grants were given for construction of schools and recurring expenses to the State Governments under Grants under Article 275 (1) of the Constitution.
- In order to give further impetus to EMRS, it has been decided that by the year 2022, every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons, will have an EMRS.
- Eklavya schools will be on par with Navodaya Vidyalaya and will have special facilities for preserving local art and culture besides providing training in sports and skill development.
- Across the country, as per census 2011 figures, there are 564 such sub-districts out of which there is an EMRS in 102 sub-districts. Thus, 462 new schools have to be opened by the year 2022.
Eklavya Model Day Boarding Schools (EMDBS)
- Wherever density of ST population is higher in identified Sub-Districts (90% or more), it is proposed to set up Eklavya Model Day Boarding School (EMDBS) on an experimental basis for providing additional scope for ST Students seeking to avail school education without residential facility.
Centre of Excellence for Sports (CoE for Sports)
- Dedicated infrastructure for setting up Centre of Excellence for sports with all related infrastructure (buildings, equipment’s etc.) is supported.
- This Centre of Excellence will have specialized state-of-the-art facilities for one identified individual sport and one group sport in each State.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…