Context: A new round of negotiations on the much-awaited United Nations High Seas Treaty for conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity of areas beyond national jurisdiction (BBNJ) began in New York recently.
About BBNJ Treaty :
- The “BBNJ Treaty”, also known as the “Treaty of the High Seas”.
- It is an international agreement on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction.
- It encompasses the high seas, beyond the exclusive economic zones or national waters of countries.
- This new instrument is being developedwithin the framework of the UNCLOS.
About UNCLOS( United Nations Convention for the Law of the Sea):
- UNCLOS is an international agreement that establishes the legal framework for marine and maritime activities.
- The Convention which concluded in the year 1982 replaced the quad-treaty of 1958.
- It came into effect in the year 1994.
- It divides marine areas into 5 zones :
- Territorial seas
- Contiguous Zone
- Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)
- Continental shelf or High seas
- India has been a party to the convention since 1995.
Source: DOWN TO EARTH
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which one of the following statements best describes the ‘Polar Code’? (2022)
- It is the international code of safety for ships operating in polar waters.
- It is the agreement of the countries around the North Pole regarding the demarcation of their territories in the polar region.
- It is a set of norms to be followed by the countries whose scientists undertake research studies at the North Pole and the South Pole.
- It is a trade and security agreement of the member countries of the Arctic Council.
Q.2) Consider the following statements. (2022)
- The Climate Group is an international non-profit organization that drives climate action by building large networks and running them.
- The International Energy Agency in partnership with the Climate Group launched a global initiative “EP100”.
- EP100 brings together leading companies committed to driving innovation in energy efficiency and increasing competitiveness while delivering on emission reduction goals.
- Some Indian companies are members of EP100.
- The International Energy Agency is the Secretariat to the “Under2 Coalition”.
Which of the statements given above is correct?
- 1,2, 4 and 5
- 1,3 and 4 only
- 2,3 and 5 only
- 1,2, 3, 4 and 5
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…