Context: The United Kingdom Supreme Court recently ruled that the Northern Ireland Protocol, which is a post-Brexit agreement that created a trade border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK, is lawful.
About the Protocol:
- Northern Ireland (part of the UK) shared a land border with the Republic of Ireland (an EU member).
- EU and UK have different product standards, checks are necessary for goods to move from Northern Ireland to Ireland.
- The Northern Ireland Protocol is a post-BREXIT agreement that created a trade border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
- The protocol was an integral part of the 2019 BREXIT agreement signed between the UK and the EU.
- Under the protocol,
- Northern Ireland remains in the EU single market, and
- Trade-and-customs inspections of goods coming from Great Britain take place at Northern Ireland ports along the Irish Sea.
Plan of UK:
- The UK government has proposed the creation of a ‘green lane’ and a ‘red lane’ for checking.
- The ‘green lane’ would have fewer checks and customs controls only for goods going to Northern Ireland.
- The ‘red lane’ would have a more stringent checks and for goods going on to the Republic of Ireland and the rest of the EU.
- In January 2023, both EU and UK signing a deal on sharing data regarding trade between them.
- The Good Friday Agreement, also known as the Belfast Agreement, was a political deal designed to bring an end to the 30 years ‘Troubles’ in the Northern Ireland.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) In which one of the following groups are all the four countries members of G20? (2020)
- Argentina Mexico, South Africa and Turkey
- Australia Canada, Malaysia and New Zealand
- Brazil, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam
- Indonesia Japan Singapore and South Korea
Q.2) Consider the following pairs:
International agreement/ set-up Subject
- Alma-Ata Declaration – Healthcare of the people
- Hague Convention – Biological and Chemical Weapons
- Talanoa Dialogue – Global Climate Change
- Under2 Coalition – Child Rights
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched? (2020)
- 1 and 2 only
- 4 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 2,3 and 4 only
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…