Environment & Ecology
Context: A new beetle species has been discovered in India, according to a paper published in the New Zealand-based journal Zootaxa.
About Omorgus Khandesh:
- It is necrophagous, therefore, also called a keratin beetle
- It belongs to the Trogidae family.
- The beetles of this group are sometimes called hide beetles as they tend to cover their body under the soil and hide.
- They are not photogenic; they are usually black or grey and encrusted in dirt.
- Their bumpy appearance is distinct, with short, dense setae all over the body.
- The beetle is important for forensic science as it helps detect the time of death of an animal or human.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which of the following is not a bird? (2022)
- Golden Mahseer
- Indian Nightjar
- White Ibis
Q.2) Certain species of which one of the following organisms are well known as cultivators of fungi? (2022)
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…