Context: Rakhigarhi is an endangered Harappan site in Haryana.
- Rakhigarhi is an archaeological site located in Hisar district (Haryana), in the Ghaggar-Hakra river plain.
- Rakhigarhi is the largest Harappan site in the Indian subcontinent
- Dating back to 2600-1900 BCE.
- The site is in danger of being destroyed by rampant soil mining, encroachment, and theft of excavated artefacts for sale.
Major Findings of the Site:
- It is a mature Harappan phase and is represented by a planned township having mud-brick as well as burnt-brick houses with a proper drainage system.
Seals and Pottery:
- A cylindrical seal with five Harappan characters on one side and a symbol of an alligator on the other is an important find from this site.
- The ceramic industry was represented by red ware, which included dish-on-stand, vase, perforated jar among others.
Rituals and Burials:
- Animal sacrificial pits lined with mud-brick and triangular and circular fire altars on the mud floor
- Two female skeletons, who were buried with a plethora of pottery and adorned jewellery like jasper, agate beads and shell bangles, have been excavated.
- Blades; terracotta and shell bangles, beads of semi-precious stones, and copper objects; animal figurines, toy cart frame and wheel of terracotta; bone points; inscribed steatite seals and sealings.
Source –Times of India
Previous Year Questions (PYQ)
Q.1) With reference to the difference between the culture of Rigvedic Aryans and Indus Valley people, which of the following statements is/are correct? (2017)
- Rigvedic Aryans used the coat of mail and helmet in warfare whereas the people of Indus Valley Civilization did not leave any evidence of using them.
- Rigvedic Aryans knew gold, silver and copper whereas Indus Valley people knew only copper and iron.
- Rigvedic Aryans had domesticated the horse whereas there is no evidence of Indus Valley people having been aware of this animal.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Q.2) Which of the following characterizes/characterize the people of Indus Civilization? (2013)
- They possessed great palaces and temples.
- They worshipped both male and female deities.
- They employed horse-drawn chariots in warfare.
Select the correct statement/statements using the codes given below:
- 1 and 2 only9
- 2 only
- 1, 2 and 3
- None of the statements given above is correct
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…