Context: The first G20 Tourism Working Group Meeting recently held in Kutch region of Gujarat.
About Rann of Kutch:
- It is a large area of salt marshes that span the border between India and Pakistan.
- It is located mostly in the Kutch district of Gujarat, with a minor portion extending into the Sindh province of Pakistan.
- It is divided into the Great Rann and Little Rann.
- The Great Rann of Kutch is the larger portion of the Rann.
- It extends east and west, with the Thar Desert to the north and the low hills of Kutch to the south.
- The Indus River Delta lies to the west in southern Pakistan.
- The Little Rann of Kutch lies southeast of the Great Rann, and extends southwards to the Gulf of Kutch.
- The climate of the ecoregion is
- Temperatures average 44 °C during the hot summer months, and can reach highs of 50 °C.
- During the winter the temperature can drop to or below freezing.
- The Rann of Kutch is the only large flooded grasslands zone in the Indomalayan realm.
- The Indomalayan realm is one of the eight biogeographic realms.
- It extends across most of South and Southeast Asia and into the southern parts of East Asia.
- The Little Rann of Kutch is home to the Indian wild ass (khur).
- The area has desert on one side and the sea on the other enables various ecosystems, including mangroves and desert vegetation.
- The history of the Rann of Kutch began with early neolithic settlements.
- It was later inhabited by the Indus Valley civilization as well as the Maurya and Gupta empires of India.
- Kutch Desert covers a vast area to the north of India and northwest by Sindh (Pakistan), west and southwest by the Arabian Sea, and to the northeast by Rajasthan.
- The Rann of Kachchh comprises a unique example of Holocene sedimentation.
- It is connected to the Arabian Sea through Kori Creek in the west and the Gulf of Kachchh in the east, and is very close to sea level.
- The Wild Ass Wildlife Sanctuary, situated in the Indian state of Gujarat, is the largest wildlife sanctuary in the country.
- It is spread in the entire area of the little Rann of Kutch where small grass-covered areas, known as baits, forms the flora and is an important source to support the fauna of the region.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
- Namcha Barwa Garhwal Himalaya
- Nanda Devi Kumaon Himalaya
- Nokrek Sikkim Himalaya
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched? (2022)
- 1 and 2
- 2 only
- 1 and 3
- 3 only
Q.2) The term “Levant” often heard in the news roughly corresponds to which of the following regions? (2022)
- Region along the eastern Mediterranean shores
- Region along North African shores stretching from Egypt to Morocco
- Region along Persian Gulf and Horn of Africa
- The entire coastal Mediterranean Sea of areas
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…