Science and Technology
Context: Recently, the Centre unveiled the ‘VAIBHAV Fellowship’ for NRI researchers.
About the Vaibhav fellowship :
- The fellowship offers NRI researchers an opportunity to work for a minimum of one month to a maximum of two months a year with a research institution or an academic institution in India.
- The duration of the fellowship is three years with the government offering the researchers an amount of up to Rs 37 lakh for the entire period.
- Objective: The VAIBHAV Fellowship aims at improving the research ecosystem of India’s Higher Educational and Scientific Institutions by facilitating academic and research collaborations between Indian Institutions and the best institutions in the world through the mobility of faculty/researchers from overseas institutions to India.
Eligibility: (for Scientists)
- The applicant should be a Non-Resident Indian (NRI), Person of Indian Origin (PIO) and Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), currently living abroad.
- The applicant must have obtained Ph.D./M.D/M.S degree from a recognized University.
- Applicant must be a researcher engaged in an overseas academic / research / industrial organization with a proven track record of research & development working in the top 500 QS World University Ranking.
- Plan to pursue research work for a minimum of 1 month to a maximum of 2 months a year in a research institution / academic institution in India, spread over 3 years.
- Applicants can submit their proposals only once in a calendar year.
Eligibility: (for Institutions)
- Higher Educational Institutions / Universities ranked in the top 200 in NIRF overall rankings and have NAAC ‘A” grades (3.0 and above) and scientific institutes.
Nature & Duration of Support:
- The fellowship is tenable only in India.
- It can be implemented in any of the recognized academic institutions, national laboratories and other recognized R&D institutions.
- The host institution should provide the necessary administrative and infrastructural support
- The fellowship is for 1-2 months each year for a period of 3 years.
- The fellows will be entitled to receive the grants as given below:
- Fellowship of USD 5000 (in equivalent Indian currency)
- International Travel from a place of their institute to a place of work in India in business class
- Accommodation in 3 or 4-star hotel
- Contingency Rs 1,00,000 per year
- Domestic Travel for academic purposes up to two stations in a year
Source: THE INDIAN EXPRESS
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Atal Innovation Mission is set up under the (2019)
- Department of Science and Technology
- Ministry of Labour and Employment
- NITI Aayog
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
Q.2) What is the purpose of ‘Vidyanjali Yojana’? (2017)
- To enable famous foreign educational institutions to open their campuses in India.
- To increase the quality of education provided in government schools by taking help from the private sector and the community.
- To encourage voluntary monetary contributions from private individuals and organizations so as to improve the infrastructure facilities for primary and secondary schools.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 2 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
Q3) Recognition of the Prior Learning Scheme’ is sometimes mentioned in the news with reference to (2017)
- Certifying the skills acquired by construction workers through traditional channels.
- Enrolling the persons in Universities for distance learning programmes.
- Reserving some skilled jobs to rural and urban poor in some public sector undertakings.
- Certifying the skills acquired by trainees under the National Skill Development Programme.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…