Answer the following questions in not more than 200 words each. Contents of the answers are more important than their length. All questions carry equal marks. 12.5 X 20 = 250
1. Low labor cost, trained minds, large markets and innovative skills are the factors favorable to achieve a higher growth trajectory. Comment.
2. The government has revised the dividend payment policy for Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs). What are the objectives behind this move? Also discuss the recommendations of the Fourteenth Finance Commission (FFC) in this regard.
3. Why is demand-pull needed to help Make in India? Discuss. Is it high time that we launch the Swadeshi movement again? Critically analyse.
4. Discuss the objectives of Start-Up India. The Union Budget, 2016 has introduced many important provisions for facilitating the growth of start ups in India. Discuss their merits and limitations.
5. For the better performance of infra sector, newer and innovative funding techniques and sources are to be devised, changes in the regulatory environment in which infrastructure companies operate and the tax framework which applies to the sector are to be made favorable. Elucidate.
6. What are the recent reforms introduced in the coal sector? Recently, the government cleared a policy that allows auction of coal to non-regulated sectors. Is this a good move? Substantiate.
7. India, as the largest consumer and producer of pulses, is caught in a vicious circle of price instability and low production of pulses. Do you agree? Analyse. What is the way out? Suggest.
8. Agricultural mechanization is the need of the hour for India. Do you agree? Substantiate. What are the bottlenecks in the process of moving towards mechanization? Discuss.
9. Can e-NAM play a big role in the creation of a national market in agriculture? Critically examine.
10. The existing food management and distribution framework in India is faced with many anomalies and challenges. Elucidate. What steps can be taken to address them?
11. What are gravitational waves? How do they get formed? Who are the Indians to have contributed to this discovery? Discuss their roles.
12. What is Big Data? What are its potential areas of application? Discuss.
13. How do oil spills affect the coastal and marine ecosystems? Elaborate. How can the effects of oil spills be mitigated? Discuss.
14. What is the ‘polluter pays’ principle? Discuss. The same principle has found application in the environmental jurisprudence of India in recent judgements by the National Green Tribunal (NGT). Analyse the judgements in the light of the ‘polluter pays’ principle.
15. What are the salient features of the National Disaster Management Plan (NDMP)? Analyse in the light of guidelines of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
16. How are Islamic State (IS) sympathizers radicalized? Discuss the role of social media in this regard. Why the rise of Islamic State (IS) is a cause of serious concern for India? Analyse.
17. Why securing the borders is a daunting task? Also examine the key challenges and priorities of border management in India. What is Border Area Development Programme (BADP)?
18. There is an urgent need of revamping the intelligence establishment in India. Discuss. Also examine the associated key priority areas and challenges.
19. India has been tagged as growing market of illegal drugs through various illicit channels”. What are the reasons for growing drug abuse in India? Also mention the challenges and steps taken to curb this menace.
20. What are the challenges to cyber security in India? In this light critically analyze the Cyber Security Policy 2013.
To Download General Studies Paper III – Click here