National Green Aviation Policy
TOPIC: General Studies 3:
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports and Railways etc.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
In News: The civil aviation ministry is creating a simplified regulatory regime to speed up clearances for airport development and other aviation projects while taking due care of environment sustainability.
What do we mean by Green Aviation?
Reductions in noise, greenhouse gas emissions and fuel usage – It involves activities to
- Improve aircraft fuel efficiency
- Develop the next generation of efficient air traffic control
- Develop new technologies and systems engineering processes to reach the future of carbon-neutral air transportation
Objectives of Aviation Policy
- To support sustainable and inclusive growth of the Indian civil aviation sector and align it with ICAO’s Vision and Mission.
- To make Indian aviation one of the most resource efficient sectors without compromising environment and ecological protection while considering the need of water, energy & fuel conservation by implementing environment friendly measures etc.
- To enable and promote development and maximum usage of solar and other renewable energy in the civil aviation ecosystem of India.
- To ensure implementation of Environmental Management System (EMS) approach across aviation units to provide a foundation for enhancing the integration of environmental sustainability and regulatory requirements into the planning, decision-making, approvals and operations of Airports, Airlines, Air Navigation Services, Ground Support System etc.
- Enhance the aviation systems from conventional to advanced environment friendly, resource efficient infrastructure/system with reliable and sustainable alternatives such as green building concept, etc.
- To reduce GHG and other gaseous emissions in line with national and global frameworks by considering use of fuel efficient fleets, advanced air navigation system with flexible use of airspace, integrated A-CDMs, emission free ground support equipment, use renewable energy and other sustainable fuels like bio fuels etc.
- Enhance competency on environmental sustainability for all aviation professionals with dedicated functions, roles and responsibilities in each individual aviation units such as Airports, Airlines, Air Navigation Services, Ground Support System etc.
- Create a favorable regulatory regime for clearances of aviation projects to meet the anticipated growth of Indian Civil Aviation, with due care to environment sustainability.
What is happening in India?
India is one of the fastest growing domestic aviation markets and is projected to become the world’s third largest air passenger market in 10 years. As part of the proposed green aviation policy, the DGCA would assess and understand emissions from all aviation related sources and their contribution to the local air quality.
The ministry is committed to inclusive and sustainable growth of the civil aviation sector in the country while mitigating its negative impacts on environment at the same time –
- Aviation regulator DGCA would work with other government agencies for making bio-jet fuels commercially viable.
- Besides, the watchdog would assess and understand emissions from all aviation related sources, their contribution to the local air quality and their effect on compliance with local air quality regulations.
- There would be a special provision and timelines that would be worked out in collaboration with central and state government bodies, environment ministry, pollution control boards and the DGCA to speed up the developmental activities with due care environment sustainability.
- Airports would adopt local air quality monitoring system and programs to monitoring the air quality around airport.
- The stakeholders would work closely with government agencies, local bodies for effective waste management around the airport to ensure reduced bird hazards and safe airport operation.
- A centre of excellence for green aviation has also been proposed, that would focus on identifying environment friendly solutions, research, competency and skill developments and aviation programmes, among others.
Connecting the Dots:
- Examine the Green Civil Aviation Policy of India? Will it able to achieve the objective set out by the Ministry?
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :