India to work with Russia on copters
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Defense , India’s Foreign relations
- Production Localisation of Ka-226T light utility helicopters
- (Defexpo 2020) Russian Helicopters (RH) signed a road map with IRHL for localisation of Ka-226T helicopter production in India.
- IRHL is a joint venture between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Russian Helicopters (RH), which will assemble the Ka-226T helicopters in India.
From Prelims Point of view:
- The Ka-226T is a design of Russia’s famed Kamov design bureau. It is a light helicopter, with a maximum take-off weight of over 3.5 tonnes and can carry a payload of up to 1 ton.
Defence Acquisition Council (DAC):
- highest decision-making body in the Defence Ministry for deciding on new policies and capital acquisitions for the three services (Army, Navy and Air Force) and the Indian Coast Guard.
- The Minister of Defence is the Chairman of the Council.
- It was formed, after the Group of Ministers recommendations on ‘Reforming the National Security System’, in 2001, post Kargil War (1999)