India VIX index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III-Economy
- In News: The India VIX index, a barometer for volatility, fell a little over 7%
- Volatility is often described as the “rate and magnitude of changes in prices” and in finance often referred to as risk.
- Volatility Index is a measure, of the amount by which an underlying Index is expected to fluctuate, in the near term.
- India VIX is the short name for the India Volatility Index, an index disseminated by the NSE (National Stock Exchange)
- It measures the degree of volatility or fluctuation that active traders expect in the Nifty50 over the next 30 days