Topic: General Studies 2:
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests
- India and its neighbourhood- relations.
Terrorism and Afghanistan
Context: The terrorist attack on a gurudwara in Kabul, claimed by Islamic State (IS), has killed 25 people, mostly members of Afghanistan’s persecuted Sikh minority.
Afghanistan is notorious for violence against its minority communities.
- The Hazara Shias were brutally attacked during the Taliban regime in 1996-2001.
- Most Hindus and Sikhs, once spread across the country in hundreds of thousands, have fled the country in past three decades
Do You Know?
- Post 9/11 attacks, US invaded Afghanistan with the aim to destroy Al-Qaeda terrorist group.
- For past two decades, there is a Civil War going on in Afghanistan between Taliban (Fundamentalist group supported by Pakistan) and the Afghan government (supported by USA).
- US and Taliban signed a peace deal in March 2020
- One of the provisions of peace deal was that the Taliban had committed themselves to eliminating the Islamic State from Afghanistan
Why Islamic State (IS) has attacked now?
- To send a message to its rivals that it continues to be a potent force
- Increasing influence of Taliban (reflected through peace deal with US) is clashing with IS’s own interest to control vast territory & spread its own ideology
- Hence, it wants to revive its own importance vis-à-vis Taliban
- IS wants to exploit the clashes between Taliban and Afghan government – unable to finalize on the prisoner swap part of the peace deal – to increase its own influence
- Division in Afghan Political leadership –Afghanistan now has two Presidents – meaning weak coordinated response on the perpetuators of attack
What are the consequences of the attack?
- Less focus on fighting the COVID-19 pandemic in Afghanistan – Iran (epicentre of the pandemic) borders the country => dangers of Afghanistan becoming a new epicentre.
- Abandonment of minorities in the country may lead to refugee crisis
- Derails the peace deal signed between Taliban and USA
- Increased instability in the region
What is the Impact on India?
- Internationalization of Kashmir Issue: IS has stated that it had carried out the attack in revenge for Kashmir.
- Doubts over Pakistan’s involvement in this attack shows that there is increased security threat to Indians (workers & Officials) in Afghanistan
- Increased terrorism in the region is not in the Economic & Strategic interest of India
- Afghanistan faces two contagions, new and old — COVID-19 and the relentless violence.
- A united effort has to be made for the ceasefire of violence so as to enable humanitarian assistance to deal with the pandemic
Connecting the dots:
- Who were all the part of coalition forces which defeated Islamic State in Iraq & Syria (ISIS)?
- Who is the Haqqani group and how is it related to Taliban?
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :