India’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations appointed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations; International Groupings
- India has appointed diplomat T S Tirumurti as its Permanent Representative to the United Nations.
Important value additions:
The Permanent Mission
- It is the diplomatic mission that every member state appoints to the United Nations.
- It is headed by a Permanent Representative, who is also referred to as the “UN ambassador”.
- It is also mentioned in the Article 1 (7) of the Vienna Convention.
- It is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations
- It is the largest and most powerful organization in the world.
- Headquarters: New York City; other main offices: Geneva, Nairobi, Vienna and The Hague.
- Official languages:
- India was among the original members of the UN that signed the Declaration by United Nations at Washington, D.C. in 1944.
- It also participated in the United Nations Conference on International Organization at San Francisco from 25 April to 26 June 1945.