Unusual Locusts attack in urban areas of India
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Climate change; Food security
- There have been unusual sightings of swarms of locusts even in urban areas of Rajasthan, parts of Madhya Pradesh and Vidarbha region of Maharashtra.
- The desert locust (Schistocerca gregaria) is a short-horned grasshopper.
- It is usually harmless when it is unaccompanied.
- However, locusts undergo a behavioural change when their population builds up rapidly.
- They form huge swarms that can travel up to 150 km per day, eating up every bit of greenery on their way.
- These insects feed on a large variety of crops.
- They can threaten the food security of a country.
- In India, locusts are normally sighted during July- October along the Pakistan border.
- Their early arrival can be attributed to the following factors:
- Cyclonic storms Mekunu and Luban that had struck Oman and Yemen respectively in 2018 had turned large deserts tracts into lakes which facilitated locust breeding.
- Swarms attacking crops in East Africa reached peak populations from November 2019.
- The population increased in southern Iran and Pakistan since the beginning of 2020.
- Heavy rains in East Africa in March-April enabled further breeding.
- The swarms were aided by high-speed wind and thus they made their way to such urban areas.
- Their growth can be controlled by spraying insecticide on locusts’ night resting places like trees.
- Till date, the Locust Warning Organisation (LWO) has carried out spraying operations in Rajasthan.
- India has also ordered for specialised insecticide sprayers with the UK.
- Drones will also be used to spray the resting places.
Important value additions
Locust Warning Organisation (LWO)
- It comes under the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- It is responsible for monitoring, survey and control of Desert Locust in Scheduled Desert Areas mainly in the States of Rajasthan and Gujarat.
Image source: Click here
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :