INST scientists find route to fabricate precisely controlled nanostructures of desired geometry & location on 2D materials
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Science and Technology
- Researchers at Institute of Nano Science and Technology (INST) Mohali, have found a straightforward and unique route to fabricate precisely controlled nanostructures of desired geometry and location on 2D materials.
- The route is through a rapid one-step low power laser writing process.
- INST is an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- The INST group developed a hybrid Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy(SERS) platform of Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) nanostructure.
- It was decorated with gold nanoparticles where direct laser writing is used to engineer the artificial edges on the surface of MoS2.
- This created localized hotspots with remarkable precision and control.
- A focused laser beam of low power of a conventional Raman spectrometer was used to do nanostructuring on 2D flakes of desired feature size and geometry.
- They achieved the minimum feature size of ̴300nm.
- This technique enhanced the local electromagnetic field leading to formation of hotspots.
- This will open a new avenue for the development of commercialized SERS substrate with a localized detection capability of analytes.
- SERS hybrid platform will also shed new light in the SERS sensing of biological and chemical molecules.
- The artificial edges of the 2D layers can be functionalized with an antibody with adequate coating and linkers for the SERS detection of various biomarkers.
Important value additions
Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS)
- It is a surface-sensitive technique that enhances Raman scattering by molecules adsorbed on rough metal surfaces or by nanostructures such as gold.
- The technique may detect single molecules.
- It is a spectroscopic technique typically used to determine vibrational modes of molecules.
- It is commonly used in chemistry to provide a structural fingerprint by which molecules can be identified.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :